Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Project Homeostasis



For our first project in this class, we took the temperature of both Mikaella and myself, before doing any activities, with a temperature probe at our forearms. Mikaella started off with the temperature of 87.7 and I did with a temperature of 78.1. Then, Mikaella began to try to rise her temperature by exercising around the room such as jogging, push-ups and jumping jacks. I had the easy job and watched as I iced my forearm. We both waited out for 2 minutes continuing our activities then took the temperature of our forearms again. This time Mikaella's temperature was 89.1 and mine was 63.9. Mikaella and I continued on with our activities for another 3 minutes and once again took our temperatures again. Mikaella came in a whopping 90.1 while I actually rose a little to 64.8. Finally, we waiting out for 5 minutes going through the relaxation period. When we finally took our last temperatures Mikaella's was 88 even, and mine was 69.1. In the beginning we all had a hypotenuse that our bodies would respond with homeostasis, and we were correct. While going through the relaxation period our bodies tried to regain order, Mikaella by sweating, and me by shaking. It was a pretty neat experiment to do. I got to witness homeostasis in action! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment